Breastfeeding offers numerous benefits that can’t be measured, but there are ten essential benefits breastfeeding provides to a mother and her baby.
Youtube credits : Fortis Bangalore
Benefits of breastfeeding
- Early breast milk is a boon for the baby: There are numerous benefits of breastfeeding. The thick yellow first breast milk that is secreted after birth from the mother’s breasts is known as colostrum, which acts as a boon in her infant’s life. The first milk is rich in nutrients and antibodies and helps to protect the baby. Although the baby sucks only a minimal quantity of colostrum during each feeding, there isn’t any need to worry because it matches the need of the baby’s tummy can hold at that time.
- Breastfeeding protects baby: Exclusive breastfeeding during the first six months protects the baby from various illnesses. The protection given by the mother’s milk is unique and might never be matched by any other dairy. Formula-fed infants have increased instances of ear infections and diarrhea as compared to breastfed babies. Breastfeeding is additionally helpful in reducing the cases of pneumonia, meningitis, asthma, and also the chance of various allergies in a baby. Breastfeeding also lowers the prospect of SIDS (sudden death syndrome).
- Breast milk is complete nutrition: A mother’s breast milk changes as her baby grows. Colostrum changes into the much-refined kind of milk containing the appropriate amount of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, water, vitamins, minerals, and sugar. Benefits of breastfeeding includes baby’s growth and development. It provides all essential nutrients which a baby needs for his proper development and growth.
- Breast milk is easily digestible: Most of the infants can digest breast milk very quickly as compared to formula or any other form of milk because breast milk contains certain enzymes that help the baby digest the milk. Easy digestion further helps in less messy diapers, and so the poop stinks lesser than formula-fed babies. Formula-fed babies pass stools that smell rather like adult poop.
- Breastfeeding helps in brain development: Many types of research suggest that exclusive breastfeeding can help improve the baby’s cognitive development. Some evidence supports that children who were breastfed in their early life scored higher on IQ tests and academics.
- Breastfeeding will help the mother reduce weight and belly fat: Benefits of breastfeeding include weight loss and belly fat loss. Breastfeeding may be a decent way of regaining the pre-pregnancy size more quickly as lactation triggers the contractions within the uterus and helps it to shrink to the pre-pregnancy size. Feeding the baby also burns the extra calories without even doing any work.
- Breastfeeding prevents postpartum hemorrhage: During the breastfeeding period, the mother’s body releases oxytocin hormone into the body, which stimulates the body’s contractions. These constrictions shut off the maternal veins viably and stop excessive bleeding in ladies.
- Breastfeeding protects the mother’s health too: In spite of protecting the infant from different diseases, it also reduces the mother’s risk from various health problems like type 2 diabetes, postpartum depression, ovarian, and carcinoma.
- Breastfeeding is pocket-friendly: It helps reduce expenses. It avoids the need for formula milk and related feeding supplies essentials. In breastfed babies, health care cost is additionally much less as they don’t get sick so often.
- Breastfeeding can make the mother’s life easier: Breast milk is safe and always ready for the baby’s consumption because of its right temperature and availability. Plus, the mother does not have to worry about the sterilization of bottles and nipples, suggesting fewer infections in the baby.
Besides giving health benefits like reducing the chance of any breast infections like thrush or oral thrush in babies and mastitis, breastfeeding gives a chance to share an emotional holding towards the start of the baby’s life. It provides the joyful closeness and lays the loving foundation of the mother and child relationship. Deciding to breastfeed a baby is a very personal choice, but it’s crucial to induce education about all the benefits of breastfeeding before the baby arrives. Make the proper decision by choosing the best breastfeeding position that suits the mother and baby which will help them both in staying healthy for a long time.
To read more about the benefits of breastfeeding refer to
All the information provided by Chennai Women’s Clinic and Scan Centre (CWC) through its video, blog series is strictly for informational purposes only and all content, including text, graphics, video, images and information, contained on or available through this web site are only general information about gynecology, obstetric ultrasound scan services, practices and standards and the same is intended for information purposes only.
Any video, audio or text content is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information provided by CWC should not be used to self-diagnose or self-treat any health condition. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider on any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of some information/inference you may have gathered from any video, audio or text content published by CWC.
The medical information, on any platform (digital or print), created by CWC is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. CWC shall not be responsible or liable for the use of any advice or information that you may obtain through this web site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.